Epidemiology Specialists at Reputable Johns Hopkins University in the USA spoke out on the dangerous misconception regarding collective immunity from COVID-19. First of all, they noted that the assumptions about the imminent achievement of the desired level of infection of the population are erroneous. “We want to clearly state that in 2020 collective immunity at the population level will not be achieved,” the scientists said.
According to them, at the beginning of April 2020, no more than 2-4% of the population in various countries were infected with SARS-CoV-2. Even in New York, the most optimistic figure is 15-21%.
– Some adhere to the idea of “controlled voluntary infection” akin to “chickenpox parties” in the 1980s. However, COVID-19 is 100 times more deadly than chicken pox. For example, on a Diamond Princess cruise ship, the mortality rate for SARS-CoV-2 infected individuals was 1%. Anyone who goes to a coronavirus party to get infected will not only significantly increase their chances of dying, but will also put their families and friends at risk.
COVID-19 is currently the leading cause of death in the United States, killing nearly 2,000 Americans every day. Chicken pox has never killed more than 150 Americans a year.
Experts emphasize that in order to achieve collective immunity, about 70% of the population must be infected. Without a vaccine, more than 200 million Americans will have to become infected before the US reaches this threshold. At the current pace of the pandemic, this threshold will only be reached in 2021. If current mortality rates remain, then by then over half a million people will die due to COVID-19, and a heavy burden will fall on the health care system.
“Advanced testing will help us better understand the extent of the infection, but it’s obvious that this pandemic is just beginning to develop.
It’s important to know:
- Coronavirus: the first symptoms and recommendations for prevention
- How to live during a pandemic? Simple rules of work, communication and procurement
- 5 steps to protect vulnerable parents and grandparents from COVID-19
- I want to help doctors who fight with coronavirus. How to do it quickly and easily?